Optima® YT S: Benefits, tips, answers
Connecting Batteries Together in Parallel
If your battery application requires more starting power or reserve capacity you can install multiple batteries together in parallel by connecting the like terminals together (positive to positive / negative to negative). Each time you add a battery in parallel you increase the CCA and Reserve Capacity, the voltage remains at 12 volts
- Use batteries of identical make, model, and age.
- Make sure cable gauge is sufficient to handle the higher current flow.
- Prevent cables from shorting (do not allow them to rub against the vehicle body).
- Use only high quality connectors and clean all contacts prior to installation.
- Periodically check all connections for secure fit.
- If you are unsure of this procedure, contact your auto electrical service centre.
Battery installation tips
- Ensure that the battery is properly secured in the vehicle or equipment to prevent movement and vibration.
- Replace any cables and connectors that have corrosion, rust, or other damage.
- Do not install batteries in a non-ventilated or sealed compartment.
- Do not lift or handle the batteries by the terminals.
The OPTIMA® battery is truly maintenance free. When charged properly you will not have to worry about leaking, corrosion, or gassing. Periodically inspect your battery terminal connections to ensure they are clean, snug, and protected from the elements.
Open circuit voltage (OCV) and storage:
OCV: YellowTop Deep Cycle >13.0 volts
(for a fully charged battery)
Battery care (also maintenance-free batteries)
The following points should be observed to extend the battery life:
- Batteries should be fully charged before and after they have been used,
- disconnect from the power circuit in the case of longer standstills (e.g. with a circuit-breaker or by disconnecting the battery terminal),
- in the case of longer standstill periods, the battery must be
disconnected and charged for 24 hours at the latest every 12 weeks.
Store fully charged batteries in a cool but frost-free place
during the winter and recharge regularly (every 12 weeks).
Safety and Handling
- Always wear proper eye, face and hand protection when working with battery.
- Never lean over battery while boosting, testing, or charging.
- Exercise caution when working with metallic tools or conductors to prevent short circuits and arcing.
- Keep terminals protected to prevent accidental shorting.
- Replace any battery that has signs of damage to the terminals, case, or cover.
- Install battery in a ventilated area for operation and during charging.
DO NOT ADD WATER TO THE OPTIMA® BATTERY!